Competition – November 13, 2022
With the support of AIChE and the Young Professionals Committee, come showcase your chemical engineering skills by participating in the AIChE Beer Brewing Competition (ABBC). ABBC will allow AIChE entities (local sections, divisions, forums, etc.) to create teams of two to five U.S.-based professional members over the age of 21 (undergraduate students not eligible to participate), with at least one member under the age of 35, to brew their own beer in any BJCP style category.
Professional beer tasting judges will then score beers according to a standard beer tasting rubric. Teams will also flex their chemical engineering muscles through a poster competition describing their processes and creative design that has gone into their brew.
Per Entry Fee – $30.00
– Grand Prize (1st Place) – 80% taste/20% poster
– 1st Runner-Up Grand Prize (2nd Place) – 80% taste/20% poster
– 2nd Runner-Up Grand Prize (3rd Place) – 80% taste/20% poster
– Best of Show (BoS) – Tasting Winner from BJCP judges
– Best Poster Presentation Winner – winner from poster judges
– Best Beer Name
– People’s Choice Award – from guest judges
– Most Efficient Brew – The team with the best brewhouse efficiency number
– Biggest Beer – Beer with the highest starting gravity before fermentation
– Best Beer Label – to be shown on the poster, not the entry bottles
– Best New Team – BJCP Best of Show between teams of 1st time competitor