Additional prizes may be awarded. The winners will be announced at the Saturday Awards Banquet.
Jul 28,2020 12:00am - Aug 1,2020 11:59pm
Grand Sierra Resort and Casino
2500 E 2nd Street
Reno, NV 89502
The Theme is The Art of Cake (Cake Inspired by Art.)
This Wedding Cake Competition is open to anyone, of any skill level.
Competitors do not have to be registered for Cake Expo to participate.
There will be two (2) division in the competition based on skill level.
- Beginner – Intermediate: Anyone who decorates cakes either as a hobbyist or professionally who doesn’t fit the criteria for a professional.
- Professional: Anyone who has been decorating more than five (5) years. Has taken 100 or more hours of sugar art classes; is an ICES Certified Sugar Artist or Master Sugar Artist; is an ACF Certified Executive Pastry Chef; creates cakes for sale as a full time profession; has more than three years commercial decorating experience; demonstrates/teaches (or has taught) classes in advanced cake decorating and sugar art techniques (beyond basic icing/piping skills); is a sugar art author, or is a cake show judge.
The wedding cake needs to be an original cake, the work of only the entrant. It must be at least 3 tiers of cake, which would be enough to serve 100.
Beginner/Intermediate: The entire entry must fit within a 24”x 30” table space.
Advanced/Professional: The entry will be displayed on a 72” round table. A basic white table covering will be provided, you are welcome to provide another table covering if desired.
1. Entries will be judged on the following criteria:
- Skill and precision of Techniques (20 pts)
- Originality and Creativity (20 pts)
- Number and Difficulty of Techniques (15 pts)
- Proportion and Balance (15 pts)
- Use of Color (15 pts)
- Overall Eye Appeal/Judge’s Discretion (15 pts)
2. A total of 100 points may be earned from the judging panel.
3. The decision of the judges is final.